Subject: RE: Running NetBSD on Netgear appliances
To: Matthias Scheler <tech-ports@NetBSD.org>
From: Jun Sun <jsun@docomolabs-usa.com>
List: tech-ports
Date: 01/04/2005 16:18:58
On
<7FB17951357F434FA9C14522522BA59B554269@dcl-ex.dcml.docomolabs-
> usa.com>,
> 	"Jun Sun" <jsun@docomolabs-usa.com> writes:
> > "Rockhopper" was once used by NEC for their development board,
> > supporting (MIPS) Vr5432, Vr5500 and Vr7700.  Those CPUs do support
MMU.
>=20
> Great. But does NetBSD support them?
>=20

I don't think so.  The CPU support is not too much different from
generic r4k CPUs though.

> >> The DG834G apparently has a MIPS CPU because the Linux kernel
sources
> >> (they are in a directory called "linux-2.4.17_mvl21") only contain
> >> "arch/mips".
> >
> > The distro is mvista linux v2.1.  Check .config file under the top
of
> > the tree and you will find out which board and which CPU is
configured
> > here.
>=20
> Let's see:
>=20
> CONFIG_MIPS=3Dy
> CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=3Dy
> CONFIG_MIPS_MALTA=3Dy
> [...]
> CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=3Dy
> CONFIG_I8259=3Dy
> CONFIG_PCI=3Dy
> CONFIG_HAVE_STD_PC_SERIAL_PORT=3Dy
> CONFIG_NEW_IRQ=3Dy
> CONFIG_NONCOHERENT_IO=3Dy
> CONFIG_SWAP_IO_SPACE=3Dy
> CONFIG_MODULES=3Dy
> CONFIG_KMOD=3Dy
> CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32=3Dy
> CONFIG_CPU_HAS_LLSC=3Dy
> CONFIG_CPU_LITTLE_ENDIAN=3Dy
> [...]
> CONFIG_NET_PCI=3Dy
> CONFIG_PCNET32=3Dy
> [...]
>=20

It looks like a Malta board with MIPS32 CPU.  It appears netBSD already
supports Malta (under arch/evbmips/malta).
=20
> >> Porting NetBSD especially to the DG834G would be cool.
> > Drivers might be an issue ...
>=20
> Looks like sources for the 802.11g NIC (which I don't care about) and
the
> DSL modem (which I need) are missing.
>=20
> > ... but other stuff (timer, irq, CPU, etc) should be easy.
>=20
> Yes, looks like a PC interrupt controler, com(4) serial ports and
> pcn(4) ethernet to me.
>=20

BTW, I am new to netbsd.  Take my comments with caution.  I know about
those boards because I ported Linux on them.

Jun