Subject: Re: NetBSD/TiVo ?
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-ports
Date: 01/16/2004 15:31:16

Matt Thomas <> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2004, at 8:24 AM, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> >How about NetBSD/TiVo?  I just saw that the Series 2 models are
> >available for $150 (after rebate from the TiVo website).  I believe=20
> >it'd
> >be a ppc variant -- might be helpful.
> I've thought about it.  (Series 1 uses IBM PPC4xx, Series 2 uses a MIPS
> processor).  But I get around to why?  I use the Tivo for its software
> and what about that?  Run it emulation mode after writing all the kernel
> drivers and making sure Linux Compat works.  What about the use of XFS
> that the Tivo box uses?

True, true.  What I had in mind was using it as a silent non-ugly
living-room capable server or some such, maybe for use as a
audio-appliance.  At ~$150, that would not be a bad toy.

I really don't know what capabilities these models have (do they even
have ethernet?).

Wenn ich tot bin, mir soll mal Einer mit Auferstehung oder so
kommen, ich hau ihm eine rein! (Anonym)

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)