Subject: Re: NetBSD/TiVo ?
To: None <tech-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-ports
Date: 01/16/2004 15:31:16
--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Jan 16, 2004, at 8:24 AM, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> >How about NetBSD/TiVo?  I just saw that the Series 2 models are
> >available for $150 (after rebate from the TiVo website).  I believe=20
> >it'd
> >be a ppc variant -- http://www.tivo.com/linux/ might be helpful.
>=20
> I've thought about it.  (Series 1 uses IBM PPC4xx, Series 2 uses a MIPS
> processor).  But I get around to why?  I use the Tivo for its software
> and what about that?  Run it emulation mode after writing all the kernel
> drivers and making sure Linux Compat works.  What about the use of XFS
> that the Tivo box uses?

True, true.  What I had in mind was using it as a silent non-ugly
living-room capable server or some such, maybe for use as a
audio-appliance.  At ~$150, that would not be a bad toy.

I really don't know what capabilities these models have (do they even
have ethernet?).

-Jan

--=20
Wenn ich tot bin, mir soll mal Einer mit Auferstehung oder so
kommen, ich hau ihm eine rein! (Anonym)

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc--