Subject: Re: Port-Palm Zire
To: Nick Vanderweit <>
From: John Gordon <>
List: tech-ports
Date: 01/03/2004 14:48:37

>> Hi! My name is Nick Vanderweit. I am 11 years old and
>> just bought a Palm Zire 21 falsely remembering that it
>> could run NetBSD. I was saddened when I found that the
>> closest port was hpcmips. I wanted to know if you
>> could add it to your list of future ports.
> Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Zire uses a processor that does not
> include an MMU (memory management unit).  As such, it is not capable of
> supporting virtual memory, which NetBSD requires.

You might want to take a look at uClinux though if you are interested in
a unix-like operating system for your new toy. I believe that there is a
uClinux port for Palm hardware, though I don't know if the Zire 21 is
included yet - it is using the newer ARM/OMAP CPU so it might not be.

John Gordon
- VxWorks, NetBSD, PalmOS & more