Subject: Re: NetBSD on a VT8601A (PLE133) north bridge motherboard
To: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
From: None <netbsd@enos.jayhackers.net>
List: tech-ports
Date: 11/14/2002 17:41:43
Hm...  Yes space is a requirement.  I'm trying to make an embedded
system with a really small footprint.  I chose to get the integrated
processor because it was much cheaper to do it that way and I knew i'd
never be upgrading it.... i'd just toss the whole thing if it gets out
of date.

Specifially my requirements are a microatx board with 3 or 4 pci slots,
an integrated LAN on the motherboard, and it must run either Via C3 or
celeron.  Something powerful but conserves power at the same time..
this is an embedded system.  I'm wondering if it would be better if i
ordered this $79 motherboard with SiS chipsets on it instead:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/p6vem3_3x.htm
SiS seems to be pretty good from what i've heard.  I just don't know
about NetBSD support.

Another option I was thinking of was to try to get FreeBSD running on
this system, then start replacing some of the memory code that netbsd
has with freebsd code..  (yes I know this has to be very carefully
done).

Any other suggestions are welcome and if you know any kernel hackers
that could help explain more to me whats going on would be much
appreciated..  I'm not giving up very easily..  I'll go through the
kernel memory parts line by line if i have to.

Greg