Subject: Re: Making build of floppy images optional
To: None <tech-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mmondor@gobot.ca>
List: tech-ports
Date: 10/28/2002 22:42:46
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 07:57:04PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Matthew Mondor wrote:
>
> > I am not sure if any other ports may benefit form this, but let's
> > describe the scenario for i386. When a new NetBSD release gets out, I
> > generally compile mine from source, for i386, i486, i586 and i686
> > optimizations. The build runs fine, until the point where it attempts to
> > build the floppies using vnd, because of the size of the binary results
> > which varies. The i586 and i686 builds are then failing at that point.
>
> 	The correct fix would be to not use COPTS when building binaries
> 	for the floppies. I believe the i386 bootblocks already do this.

This indeed seems a viable solution; I do not have CVS write access on
the netbsd project to effect changes however, and am not familiar enough
with the build scripts to provide a decent diff... Any clues as to how
we could get this done for next 1.6 releases (and possibly snapshots)?

Thanks for the interest,
Matt