Subject: Re: Choosing a default text address for user programs for a new port
To: None <tech-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Glenn Serre <gaserre@spiresoftware.com>
List: tech-ports
Date: 04/18/2002 15:59:23
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 03:23:10PM -0700, Glenn Serre wrote:
>
>  > I'm trying to get a new port running (I'm currently trying to exec init
>  > for the first time) and I'm wondering what I should use as the default
>  > text address for user programs.  I searched the list archives a bit, but
>  > didn't see anything particularly informative.
>
> Can you give an indication of what kind of architecture it is?

It's a processor that's not currently supported by NetBSD (I'm not
supposed to mention it's name), with a MMU that's similar to mips.  I'm
using ELF.

> For ELF, what is generally done is "pick the largest page size
> that is both reasonable and that the architecture provides and
> use that".

OK.  In my case that means 0x400000 (4Meg).

> The GNU Binutils should provide some hints as what to use, too.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.  The man pages, or some other
docs that normally come with a Binutils distribution, or ???  The default
ldscripts that come with the linker just use 0.

Thanks!
--Glenn S.