Subject: Re: Changes to firewire code
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
From: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-ports
Date: 04/29/2001 06:14:17
For now I moved it to splbio since that's more natural in this case than
splnet where it was before.

The main issue is we really need spl(my interrupt) for cases like this since
all I really care about is blocking the interrupt at a few points (less than
10 or so now in the code).

The other thing, is spl's shouldn't be treated as levels (I had this pounded
into me as I learned it :-). i.e. from the man page "Note that a strict
hierarchy is not brequired.  "

At this point almost nothing uses this as a synch point since all the
actual processing takes place at spl0 inside the kthread and that just calls
registered callbacks from the sub devices. Those devices would then need to
deal with appropriate spl issues for any data they're manipulating (like the
if_fw code shoving/pulling packets from the IP queue's, etc). Testing so far
doesn't show any problems with the if_fw interface interacting badly with
anything else using the IP stack.

James