Subject: Re: NetBSD/playstation2 anyone?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: tech-ports
Date: 12/28/2000 08:07:40
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> The hardware descriptions I've read of the PS2 are really rather
> bizarre. I bet that in a few months when the short supply eases up,
> some people will begin working on this sort of thing...

Around the 22 of Dec we started seeing lots of the systems available at
local (Indianapolis) retail stores.  Looks like Sony just barely ramped up
production of US PlayStation 2 systems in time for the holidays.

The only docs I found on the net describing the the PlayStation 2
processor are at this location:

  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/6114/cpu2.html

This page claims it has a 128bit processor with a MIPS IV instruction
subset.  Admittedly, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, at
least the 128bit part of it.  Maybe the extended instructions, but they
also claim that the processor has 32 128bit wide general purpose
registers.  I'm not really familliar with MIPS processors, but I thought
even the most recent flavors are still 64bit albeit with some direct
support for 128bit operands.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
I have sixteen boxes of Hamburger Helper in the pantry, but I almost never
have any hamburger.  So why isn't there Hamburger Helper Helper?  -- K.