Subject: Re: Suggestions Wanted
To: Pete Kazmier <pete@kazmier.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-ports
Date: 08/16/2000 09:59:36
	A nice list of suggested ports is at:
		http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/#suggested-ports

	If you have good experience with any given CPU then picking
	a machine based on that has obvious advantages.

	Otherwise.. some thoughts - machines available for all:

		psion5: arm based handheld machine - 4-16MB of ram, and
		would make a _very_ nice handheld unix box. If you're
		really serious about this I can probably provide one
		(get it running NetBSD, keep the box :)

		sun386i: i386 based sun machine. Should be able to share
		a lot of code with the sparc and sun3 drivers, plus I know
		someone with a spare machine, and a copy of the original
		SunOS 4.x source, which would make an excellent reference
		:)

		nubus based powermac machines: NetBSD supports the later
		PCI based machines. You'd probably need to port the mac68k
		bootloader (no openfirmware), maybe add some extra code
		for the 601 CPU, and get nubus support also from mac68k.

		Precedence NC: Should be a relatively easy port given
		(I believe) its similarity with existing supported arm32
		boxes.

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --