Subject: RE: porting NetBSD to MainFrame ?
To: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
From: Henry Miller <hank@black-hole.com>
List: tech-ports
Date: 09/01/1999 22:21:40
I know of a few small companies that have older IBM hardware that they
would love to have a free MVS-OS/390 to work with.  They are more
concerned about the cost of licenseing the OS form IBM (at $10,000 a
month!) than the power cost.  Currently they are planning on doing as much
as possibal withuot the mainframe, and schedualing the work that needs the
mainframe to all happen in one month.  (They can get time at custoemr beta
centers if needed, but that isn't always avaiable as much as needed)

If you could get a OS/390 port that supports in some rudimentary way they
would be greatful.

The old systems are still used by big companies for real world mission
critical applications.  They are also used by smaller companies trying to
sell hardware for the mainframe.

If you really want to do this, and can find one of these smaller comaines
who would hire you it is doable.  Or, get a job at IBM, the linux port was
done by IBM guys, and IBM has plenty of mainframes.

The key to demand is that these smaller companies don't want to pay the
license fee, spend a few hours loading all the code, only to discover that
they were following the nul pointer in the second line of the init code.
Once it has a little stability they feel more comforatable about paying
the fee.  Thus it isn't netBsd that is important so much as a cheaper
system to test device drivers and hardware on.

Mind, NetBSD on a mainframe would be cool, but of questionable usefulness.
These systems are not really fast compared to modern hardware, but they
have more I/O capacity than most other hardware.  Programs for the
mainframe are designed from the ground up to take advantage of high
bandwidth, and I seem to recall (but could be wrong) that some periferals
do pre-processing on data, something else (if true) that applications
would need to take advantage of but, Unix doesn't really provide for.

--
      http://www.black-hole.com/users/henrymiller/
      hank@black-hole.com