Subject: Re: porting NetBSD to MainFrame ?
To: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: tech-ports
Date: 09/01/1999 16:58:44
>2) You'ld have to have unrestricted access to one.  I'm not aware of any
>Colleges or Businesses that would let you reboot there 370/390 to test
>your port of UNIX much less let you experiment with their hardware.

While I'm not sure doing a NetBSD port to the 370 systems would make
_any_ sort of sense, you could do it within one of the 370 virtual
machines.  On the 370 system we used you use, you essentially booted a
small OS at login time (it was called CMS) and it provided your login
environment.  I knew of people who wrote their own OS's and booted them
instead of CMS.  You don't need any system level access to do that
at all.

>I remember being one of hundreds of drones using one of these in college
>and they realy do suck (in usablily) compared to the modern computers.
> So why do it?

Because it's there? :-)

--Ken