Subject: Re: port to system w/o MMU
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-ports
Date: 04/25/1997 11:04:25
>Some people would say that MUNIX, which ran on an LSI-11/03 and put the
>kernel (if I vaguely recall) from 0-32KB and user programs from 32KB
>to 64KB, was the first non-MMU UNIX system. This would have been about
>1977.

Yup. There was even a Mini-UNIX distribution for the 11/10.  One of
the more appalling things about it was that there wasn't enough memory
for a static partitioning between kernel and "user" code.  User code
was linked to start at the end of the kernel.  Changing the kernel
usually meant relinking the entire userland.  Not fun.