Subject: Re: Can memcpy, bcopy be added to libkern?
To: None <tech-ports@NetBSD.ORG, cagney@tpgi.com.au>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: tech-ports
Date: 12/17/1996 17:59:58
> Can I strongly suggest the generic implementations of the functions:
>
> 	memcpy()
> 	bcopy()
> 	?others?
>
> be made available in the sys/lib/libkern directory?  A new port could
> then include them using a tweeked .../arch/${ARCH}/Makefile.inc instead
> of having an individual copy.

Wholeheartedly seconded.

I'd even go further and make generic implementations of kernel-only functions
available at some appropriate place (e.g. sys/arch/generic?).  Things like
fuword, suword etc. and copyinstr, copyoutstr come immediately to mind here...
Those can easily be implemented in terms of copyin/copyout during bringup of
a new port.

> PPS: How can I sendpr this when I don't have a running system to sendpr
> from :-)

You obviously do have a system you sent this mail from, simply install send-pr
there...

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--