Subject: Re: mkfs/mkproto or how are the intel fd's built?
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-ports
Date: 01/22/1995 21:12:32
Andrew Cagney said:
> I'll certainly agree it is a somewhat obscure request.  However, if such
> tools are around they can really pay off.  Tasks such as:
>
> 	o	building root file systems from the source tree

this is easy enough, but there's no automated way to do it.

> 	o	installing kernels when cross compiling

umm, it's not entirely clear to me under what circumstances this is useful...

> 	o	(for x86) creating boot disks  (do you
> 		really do everything on a disk then
> 		DD it into a file?)

this is doable too.

for ideas on how to do this, look in /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies

there are easy-enough non-automated ways to build file systems.  i
don't think there's a significant need to provide an automated way to
do it.

chris