Subject: Re: IEEE1275 OpenBoot support?
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: tech-ports
Date: 12/11/1994 18:13:07
> [Please follow up to tech-kern]

(This is not within the charter of tech-kern, which talks about MI
kernel internals.  I've deleted it from the list.)

> What is the current (or planned) level of support for the OpenBoot
> Firmware (IEEE-1275) in NetBSD?

Why do you feel you need high level kernel access to it?

If a machine has an OpenBOOT ROM, the NetBSD/port will use it in a
machine dependent way.  The sparc port uses the OpenBOOT ROM to
configure devices and halt/reboot.  All the other ROM interfaces it
uses are specific to the sparc.  It doesn't use much code to talk to
the OpenBOOT, but that code will is sparc-specific.

Of course, Sun's OpenBOOT ROM isn't exactly the same as the IEEE
standard (really, is anyone surprised that they had to change it?)
Even then, there is much variation in Sun OpenBOOT ROM's.

> I think it is going to become a `must have'.

I don't think so.  If a PPC mac uses OpenBOOT, it isn't going to use
it the same way that a sparc does.