Re: Approval request for updating www/php-nextcloud to 29.0.2

Ryo ONODERA <ryo%tetera.org@localhost> writes:

>> Bottom line:
>>
>>   1) I think we need testing on 9/amd64 as a requirement before an
>>   in-freeze update.
>>
>>   2) Needing to consider this question makes me think we should either:
>>
>>     - A) agree that we will be ok with behind 1-2 months behind and not do
>>       updates right up against the branch
>>
>>     - B) decide that some users really need freshness and version
>>       nextcloud entirely, so there is no 'nextcloud', but instead
>>       nextcoudNN, were they are added as soon as anybody wants (but not
>>       in freeze ;_) and users choose to jump branches, like pgsql.  And,
>>       we regularly drop old branches; I'd see more then 3 as a bug.  (We
>>       still have 26, and that seems wrong already.)  This is a lot of
>>       work, and I'd rather us not start down that path unless someone
>>       volunteers to keep after it.  Just keeping nextcloud updated is
>>       hard enough.
>>
>> Right now I am at 2A, but I would like to hear your comments on all
>> this.
>>
>> I also welcome comments from pkgsrc users who are running nextcloud, as
>> to how they see it.  And of course from anybody else.
>
> It may be a good idea to have pho-nextcloudNN as upgrade path.

The freeze is over and nextcloud was not updated -- which I think is a
reasonable outcome.

This raises two questions:

  Given that we have 28 and are about to have 29, I think we should
  delete nextcloud26.  We have not decided to have lots of versions and
  keep them.

  Are there any problems with people on 28 upgrading to 29?

Assuming no upgrad e issues, I am not aware of any reason to update
nextcloud to 29 now.  In general, I prefer to see updates that might
cause trouble early in the branch cycle, rather than happening in a rush
because we know the branch is coming.

I think this means 30 will wait until October 1, more or less, and I
think that's fine too.

Does this all seem reasonable to you?