AIX 7.2 with current - bmake expecting ELF binary?

Continuing to push for a working pkgsrc in AIX 7.2.

My latest builds with a recent -current are failing.

I'm building with gcc 10.3.0 (from the AIX open source toolbox).

I updated the pkgsrc tree (-current branch) today.

Bootstrap works.

Subsequent build of "digest" works. But then any package-install attempt with depends after that fails like this:

# bmake package-install
ERROR: [depends.mk] Installed package digest-20220214 has an
ERROR:     object format ``XCOFF'' which differs from ``ELF''.  Please
ERROR:     update the digest-20220214 package to ELF.
*** Error code 1

Is there a platform variable that affects this, which may have recently been reset? The object format *should* be XCOFF for AIX, AFAIK.

Here is mk.conf...

---- 8< ----
ABI=                    64
PKGSRC_COMPILER=        gcc
PREFER_PKGSRC=          yes
PKG_DBDIR=              /opt/pkg/pkgdb
LOCALBASE=              /opt/pkg
SYSCONFBASE=            /opt/pkg/etc
VARBASE=                /opt/pkg/var
PKG_TOOLS_BIN=          /opt/pkg/sbin
PKGINFODIR=             info
PKGMANDIR=              man
PACKAGES=               /opt/pkg/obj/packages
WRKOBJDIR=              /opt/pkg/obj
DISTDIR=                /opt/pkg/obj/distfiles

TOOLS_PLATFORM.install?=        /opt/pkg/bin/install-sh
TOOLS_PLATFORM.strip?=          /opt/pkg/bin/strip
TOOLS_PLATFORM.sh?=             /opt/pkg/bin/mksh
TOOLS_PLATFORM.ksh?=            /opt/pkg/bin/mksh
TOOLS_PLATFORM.awk?=            /opt/pkg/bin/nawk
TOOLS_PLATFORM.sed?=            /opt/pkg/bin/nbsed

FETCH_USING=fetch
.if exists(/opt/pkg/bin/curl)
FETCH_USING=curl
.endif