Understanding mail/alpine build problem

mail/alpine currently fails:

https://us-central.manta.mnx.io/pkgsrc/public/reports/NetBSD/trunk/x86_64/20240501.2140/alpine-2.26nb3/build.log

even though terminfo is included just fine.

Here's the part I don't understand. If I cd work/alpine-2.26/pico and run the exact command that failed (for pico), it succeeds. If I also do that manually for the next two failures (pilot in same location, then work/alpine-2.26/alpine for alpine), the build completes and I get a working package.

What's getting lost in the build environment?

Thanks,
John