Re: cmake find_library() vs depends

* On 2024-05-15 at 12:22 BST, Jonathan Perkin wrote:

In the specific case of libexecinfo, why does cmake depend on it? I've built it fine without the include on both macOS and SmartOS. Given this problem, I'd prefer it if cmake was built with as few dependencies as possible.

I'd go further and argue we should have two cmake packages. One that is as small as possible that is only used for building packages (let's call it cmake-build or something), and then the main cmake package that is full-featured with e.g. curl support (that we would never want enabled for building anyway) for end users to use outside of pkgsrc.

Ok, so I'm sure a bunch of people are already ahead of me here, but it's merely the case that cmake will always have support for all of the features, it's just whether it will use its bundled versions, or those provided by pkgsrc.

So, unless someone wants to do a bunch of hacking on cmake itself to rip stuff out, I instead propose that we remove all of the buildlink3.mk includes and --system-libs, and just build cmake with its bundled dependencies.

It would also be interesting to see if that has any benefit to the intermittent failures I see with cmake on SunOS, e.g.:

  https://us-central.manta.mnx.io/pkgsrc/public/reports/trunk/x86_64/20240514.0214/clang-17.0.6/build.log

where built files are somehow later unavailable. This happens quite a lot with llvm and related packages.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com