can't build poppler(-utils); c++ standard / compiler trouble?

Hi,

I'm trying to build, in a pkgcomp1 chroot on a 9.3_STABLE amd64 system,
2024Q1 poppler-utils

I get the errors below. I spot

GCC_REQD=8 in Makefile.common and =7 in  buildlink3.mk;
USE_LANGUAGES=          c c++17

gcc 8.5.0 has actually been built first as dependency.

I tried staring at https://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx-status.html to
spot some of the symbols mentioned in the error messages, but didn't
find them.

Where do I go from here? (With enough time, I could try incrementing
GCC_REQD until success.)

Regards,
	-is