Re: Switching away from XZ

Jörg Sonnenberger wrote in
 <2251035.t9SDvczpPo%p200300d2af268706b5d68789594dae47.dip0.t-ipconnect.de@localhost>:
 |On Thursday, April 4, 2024 12:17:14 AM CEST Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
 |> Someone else came to the same conclusions as I, but hopefully wrote it
 |> down more understandable than me, as obviously I have failed to bring
 |> across the point given the respnses so far:
 |> https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/reflections_on_distrusting_xz/
 |>
 |> I think we should really discuss this...
 |
 |One thing we need to discuss for sure is the blame game currently
 |being played by quite a few parties. "You merged a Jia Tan commit,
 |you must be a plant as well!" Personally, I find the danger of that kind of
 |attitude turning away a lot of volunteers a lot more harmful.

Surely things like [1] make up a thing.
He publically mentioned his mental health issues multiple times,
and -- sorry if i got that thread starter wrong even -- that may
make people think of Jekyl and Hyde who then gets himself what he
is actually worth, with schizophrenically (i am not an expert as
you see) raising alert signs to others, like explicitly mentioning
mental health issues.  Sometimes you look back and clearly see
signs of help calls that you have read over in the past, too.
Speaking things out from all sides is one thing that is missing in
our current society, in my opinion.  (Letting aside the "it is all
lies", anyhow.)
As i am not an expert i should not comment, like all the others.
I would think "that" jiat75 is "harmless" then, except for a few
things, and then AlpineLinux would have been right with staying at
5.6.1 and doing autoreconf -fis, no, and i would be wrong with
having reverted to 5.4.0 locally.  As xz is a good tool that was
used, also by me, many billions of times, i would guess.  And it
is pretty cool to have it around!
At least *that* has been spoken out then once.  Things really
should be spoken out more often.
Of course that is pure speculation, as anything else.
I personally .. wait for the release he announced to happen soon,
it will surely remove the traps.
I do not know, as can be heard.  For the CRUX-Linux i love to use
(BSD-like, .. a bit) the built-package format can be chosen freely
(gz, bz2, xz, lz [and zst]).  I use zstd as it decompresses very
fast, always, etc etc.  Also it is RFC-standardized (whereas the
poor creator/maintainer of lzlib tried multiple times, yet still
has to face that IETF gum wall, for example; but may succeed next
time to get the RFC established, IETF comments for improvements at
least came in last time).

  [1] https://xkcd.com/2347/

--steffen