Re: Switching away from XZ

Jonathan Schleifer wrote in
 <28c58400-4f21-499c-abdb-d29229cd3f70%NetBSD.org@localhost>:
 |Someone else came to the same conclusions as I, but hopefully wrote it
 |down more understandable than me, as obviously I have failed to bring
 |across the point given the respnses so far:
 |https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/reflections_on_distrusting_xz/
 |
 |I think we should really discuss this...

I reverted to 5.4.0 locally.  I looked at the ~half a dozen
commits of jiat75 by then, and they looked good.
But AlpineLinux stayed at 5.6.1, they simply autoreconf -vis or
what, instead of using anything provided.  There are a few hundred
commits of jiat, and the poor original developer has to crawl
through them.  Then again i personally have my doubts and said so
in public already.  And jiat75 reads like dschiha:d, and 5.6.0 was
shortly before Ramadan, so i think it surely is a small-minded not
even christian educated western-style desired-to-be-criminal.
I am all in favour of zstd which is either super fast, or not that
much worse than xz, at your option, and standardized it is.
Decompression os superfast.

Gratulations for 10.0!

(P.S.: not subscribed, so this likely stays private.)

--steffen