Re: Cannot restore extended attributes

Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost> writes:

> On 06/02/2024 14:46, Mark Davies wrote:
>> Both devel/p5-Module-Find and devel/p5-Data-Printer (possibly
>> others) fail to extract for me with complaints about "Cannot restore
>> extended attributes".  Earlier versions of the tarballs are fine.
>
> So this was on an FFSv2 filesystem (I thought it was FFSv2ea, but I
> was wrong) and if I set  "EXTRACT_OPTS_TAR=--no-xattrs" then they
> extract, but should we set this somewhere in general?

(pmc hat off; this is just my technical opinion)

pkgsrc does not document that we require that WRKDIR be on a filesystem
with extended attributes.   Therefore extracting must not fail if the
distfile has xattr.  I can only see two options: tell programs to ignore
them, and tell programs to soft fail.

Additionally, we try to have the same outcome regardless of the build
system, so not extracting xattr is aligned with that.

In this case, I think it makes sense to change pkgsrc so that
--no-xattrs is the default extraction mode.

Plus, I think you should report a bug to upstream.