Re: bin/57820: devel/rcs fails on 10.0_RC2 works on 9.3

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024, George Georgalis wrote:

If my goal is minimal OS, how might I determine the sets required
for a given task? Do the sets have definitions for what they contain
or should not contain? It is natural that pkgsrc is just checking if
the OS is NetBSD if there is no definition of what sets provide.

I think going with the "Installation without X11" choice should work out
better than going with the "Minimal installation" selection.

Not sure about the nb10rc2 base make on nfs observation,
but I'll start a new thread if that returns as I resume using
nfs.

Yeah, that NFS issue puzzles me too (server not supporting nanosec
mod times? uid/gid mixup? perm. issues?...) but, for shared NFS
pkgsrc build, make sure you do:

a) sync the time on all your machines (as Martin said)
b) set `WRKOBJDIR=' and `PACKAGES=' to some local dir.
c) one NetBSD, either use make(1) with the std. paths, or bmake(1) with
   if you want a different prefix. Don't mix these (the gurus have
   spoken!).

I suspected it was a date GNUism and had no clue why it would come up.
Obviously, there was an unchecked error in the rcs build, no rcsfreeze.1
man page...

Due to a lack of time, I didn't go find out _why_ that rule is
being run when the pkgsrc Makefile has `post-configure' step to
stop just that:

```
# configure will be modified by pkgsrc framework with timestamp update.
# sync timestamp with man/REL to avoid regeneration of man.
post-configure:
	${TOUCH} -r ${WRKSRC}/man/REL ${WRKSRC}/configure
```

So, the whole man-page generation dance shouldn't happen at all
_even if_ soelim wasn't there and pkgsrc had to build it--and
whatever a groff build depends on--on a minimal-package system (which
seems to include: Perl, Python, Rust...I stopped this recursive
dep. build on Ubuntu right there :)).

-RVP