Re: NetBSD # actual cores

On 1/4/24 09:38, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
* On 2024-01-04 at 15:26 GMT, Jason Bacon wrote:

If not, using hw.ncpu is not a catastrophe.  I just means NetBSD cores
will be somewhat oversubscribed by default.

In general these "use $number_of_cores" things are terrible anyway as they completely ignore many other very important factors.  I wouldn't spend too much effort investing in them.

Yeah, like current load. We always had issues with things like this in the HPC environment, where programs would use all available cores on a compute node, when only some of them had been allocated by the scheduler. Unfortunately, some use cases rely on auto-detection, so we need to make it work as well as possible.