Re: Cert validation in pkg_add

* On 2023-12-19 at 14:34 GMT, Greg Troxel wrote:

So where I land is not to land anything today, and we can hash out the
parts that are less clear, and head to a patch that people can actually
apply and test (meaning produce binaries and update other systems with
them) while not under time pressure, and I think there is no procedural
bar to applying that to pkgsrc-current and 2023Q4 in early January.  I
will likely ask that we not make changes in libfetch/pkg_add that will
be confounding to this as the freeze ends, to ease this process.

For the record I broadly agree that making significant changes right before a branch is bad.

That said, I am going to be applying the following commits to my trunk and 2023Q4 package sets. I'm mainly posting this so that if anyone else would like to follow suit in their personal builds they can simply grab these commits.

  * libfetch validation: https://github.com/TritonDataCenter/pkgsrc/commit/eeae44396a44f8e478fa8a2686808741e947a0e6
  * pkg_install validation: https://github.com/TritonDataCenter/pkgsrc/commit/ff1ebb9b6367c075b11fb44f15d387af6fe758b1
  * pkgin 23.12.0: https://github.com/TritonDataCenter/pkgsrc/commit/d5bc778fbd8447f8a112225e45d9ed978c4e7851

Those building on non-NetBSD may also be interested in these:

  https://github.com/TritonDataCenter/pkgsrc/commit/3cd5cdb41f73deef258c780cc5302646c6628377
  https://github.com/TritonDataCenter/pkgsrc/commit/f81842934361e8980dfb7c5df6375bedee5791f6

which build pkg_install and pkgin statically against pkgsrc libraries. I've done this for many years for pkg_install, but am now going to do it for pkgin too after receiving a few bug reports from users over the years who run into problems during upgrades when pkgsrc libraries that pkgin depends on are upgraded underneath it. NetBSD is not affected as all libraries come from base, unless you use PREFER_PKGSRC.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com