Re: using pkg-config modules from host (Re: wip/py-numpy + blas)

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 18:12:05 +0100
Jörg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Thursday, December 7, 2023 2:11:54 PM CET Greg Troxel wrote:
> >   2) make python never use nis, by force-disabling
> >
> >   2 withdraws functionality from all because of Linux complexity
> > and is thus unreasonable
>
> I see very little evidence that anyone cares about the nis module.
> So if anything:
>
> 2a) Split the nis module off into its own package and let it fail on
> systems that don't provide the necessary libs.
>
> Joerg

I have been working on that today, see libnsl and py-nis in wip.
The py-nis package builds on the platforms that require extra libs.
There is a problem with libnsl and the nis module in python.
The python nis module requires libnsl that requires devel/libtirpc
that requires a kerberos implementation.
heimdal (the default kerberos) requires python. Circular dependency.
Having a separate package removes this problem on linux.
It also gives the plus of having the nis module available after it
is removed from python.
So I also think this is the best solution.

/Niclas