Re: llvm 17

> Is anyone working on updating the llvm suite to 17.0.1?  16.x has a
> number of issues when trying to build with GCC 13, and from the sounds
> of it they are not looking to backport any fixes:
>
>   https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/63133
>
> Just curious if there are any known issues with any dependencies with
> 17.x.  Happy to work on this myself if necessary.

I found what looks like one or more code generation bugs for powerpc
with the LLVM embedded in rust 1.73.0, without identifying the exact
root cause.  The LLVM rust 1.73.0 carries inside is ... llvm 17.0.2.
This is despite applying the fix from

  https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/116845

which comes from llvm 17.0.3, ref.

  https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/118099

This caused me to re-build the rust powerpc binaries for 1.73.0
natively with an external LLVM.  Rust 1.74.0 does not appear to
have this problem, and carries llvm 17.0.4 inside.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you want LLVM 17, it should
probably be LLVM >= 17.0.4.

Regards,

- Håvaard