Re: Expanding Python base package

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 05:49:02PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> My suggested change is:
>
> - change the 5 Python base packages to include these modules

I've now also included py-cursespanel, because it doesn't incur further
dependencies.

> - adapt pkgsrc so that we depend on these versions as new minimum
>   versions
>
> - remove the dependencies on the separate packages from the other
>   packages

I've committed this change now.

There are two remaining modules that come with Python that I didn't
incorporate into the base packages:

- py-gdbm - nearly nothing uses it (one package) and it causes a gdbm
  dependency

- py-Tk - because I didn't want Python to depend on tk

and py-idle (not a module, just a file) since it uses py-Tk.

I've also switched py-setuptools to not rely on distutils but only on
pip (the version that's coming with Python) to allow building with
Python 3.12.

I hope I have made the situation better now, especially for Python
3.12. Please report any problems you find.

Thanks,
 Thomas