Re: cross-compiling textproc/icu

> Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:42:33 -0600
> From: Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost>
>
> To cross-compile, textproc/icu must be configured with
> —with-cross-build= pointing to a pre-compiled native version
> of the icu source tree.  Thus, two compilations are required: (i) a
> native build and (ii) a cross build.

I haven't tried cross-building textproc/icu before, it seems.  Does
the installation prefix have enough for the cross-build, or is it
necessary to actually use a native build's work directory?

> +.if !empty(USE_CROSS_COMPILE:M[yY][eE][sS])
> +CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--with-cross-build=${.CURDIR}/work/icu/source
> +.endif
> [...]
>
> In itself, this is not quite the right solution, because
> “work” should really be replaced with a variable.
>
> Additionally, this cannot work without manual intervention.

Yes, this is fine to use locally for your own experimentation but
wrong to commit.

> What are better ideas?
>
> Should the cross build extract twice and build twice?

If icu really requires the native build's work directory, then I'm
afraid we might have to do something like that.

(I'll take a closer look when I have some time.)