Re: maintaining bulk-{small,medium,large}

Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost> writes:

> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 2023-09-14 11:42:42 +0200, Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 08:27:07AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
>> > Proposal: change bulk-small to have python 3.10 and drop explicit
>> > listing of python in bulk-medium.
>>
>> No - 3.11 is the current default version, so we should switch to that.
>> Otherwise ok.
>
> IMHO there are some small patches around to build 3.10 for VAX.
> However, ISTR that 3.11 removed the non-IEEE FP support, so we may
> need to work on that to either add a patch to pkgsrc reintroducing it
> and/or even getting that back into upstream.

My take is that these packages should not be special-cased for vax.
They should just build default versions.

If vax can't run 3.11 and needs 3.10, that's a bug in python and should
be fixed upstream.    I am not really opposed to the
PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT setting having an if for vax to be 310 instead of
311.  Then this discussion is not about bulk-foo.