the state of rust heading into 2023Q3, thunderbid

I am handling 2023Q3.

I have been hearing lots of complaints about defective binary package
sets and almost none about packages being slightly behind, and am
steering accordingly.  I have also heard zero of "I am using rust from
pkgsrc stable to build my own code and it being behind a version is
causing me trouble."

Right now pkgsrc-current has 1.70.0 for both rust and rust-bin.
wip/rust is at 1.71.1.

I hear that 1.72 has been released or will be tomorrow, but it seems
infeasible to get that working and verified by 9/1 or close to it.
Therefore we are talking about "do we update to 1.71.1 or do we not".

I do not recall a call for testing, but if you care about anything that
needs rust now would be a good time to install from wip and build.

There is a potential wrinkle as thunderbird 102 that we had yesterday
doesn't build with 1.71.1, but I see that thunderbird just got a huge
update.  Building thunderbird with either rust is really useful,
especially on platforms it hasn't been tested on.

So far there are no other reports of trouble (within what we think
works; mips cross aside) with 1.71.1.