Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/sysutils

* On 2023-08-23 at 14:52 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:

I would rather view "packages installed not from the repo" as
second-class/irregular than have trouble in the main path of "all
packages are from the repo".

If that means people who have packages from other sources get extra
warnings, I think that's fine.

I disagree. pkgin has supported multiple repositories for over 10 years, and I know of a number of people who use the feature regularly to provide extra or replacement packages in addition to a primary repository.

Telling them they are second-class citizens who have to put up with a warning every single time they run pkgin is not ok in my opinion. I believe that it is very important that any proposed change will benefit all users, and not just accommodate users who only have one configured repository, even if that might be the more popular configuration.

And to throw the ball back a little: in my opinion (and I know others will disagree) the fault lies with the binary package provider if they ship an updated repository with a missing package, if that package still exists in pkgsrc and has a reasonable likelihood of being installed by users. This is why my binary package repositories have a number of additional checks that ensure any package that a user has requested is available prior to publishing, otherwise the repository is not updated.

I don't disagree that pkgin needs to handle this situation better, but it needs to be done correctly with thought for all use-cases.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com