Re: okteta

Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-pkg%mumble.net@localhost> writes:

>> Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:32:52 +1200
>> From: Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost>
>>
>> The very old kde4 version of okteta in pkgsrc is version 4.14.3nb36.
>> The latest version (in pkgsrc-wip) is 0.26.12
>>
>> Should I just update it in pkgsrc and have the version number go
>> backwards or does someone have a better suggestion?
>
> Maybe if the kde4 version was 4.*, and this is the version in kde5, it
> should be imported as 5.0.26.12?

Maybe, but if upstream has really gone backwards, I tend to think that
just following upstream and there is some mess and then it's ok is
preferable to having continuing "why is this version different than in
every other packaging system -- is it really the same".

So I would  see what Fedora, Debian, FreeBSD Ports do.