Re: Remove USE_GCC_RUNTIME?

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 09:10:25PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> The problem, as I explain in:
>
>   https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc/blob/trunk/mk/compiler/gcc.mk#L723-L731
>
> is that doing it by default will cause circular dependencies.  I'm not
> hugely against removing it, I for many years now have had my own variant
> using:
>

>   https://github.com/TritonDataCenter/pkgbuild/blob/master/include/gcc-libs.mk
>
> instead which just sets _USE_GCC_SHLIB=yes directly for anything not in the
> gcc build path.

I was actually thinking about the circular dependency issues and
planning to do something very similar to you. Cool that there's priors. :)

But I'm mostly worried about libstdc++ (which would limit this
to C++-using packages following the earlier suggetsion that people
would like to avoid an extra dependency for C code). Although
since the potential for ABI trouble is so huge, I wonder whether
using shared libstdc++ is worth it to begin with when using pkgsrc gcc.

> but I really dislike all of our compiler magic and would lean towards making
> it simpler to reason about.

Agree.