Re: exiv2 and C++11?

nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 09:20:43AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> So is this as simple as
>>
>>   adding c++11 to USE_CXX_FEATURES in exiv2's Makefile and bl3 (because
>>   this has simply not been noticed yet)
>>
>>   adding c++11 to the future FORCE_CXX_STD, or USE_LANGUAGES now, in
>>   exiv2's Makefile and bl3
>>
>> or something else?
>
> In my eyes the solution is FORCE_CXX_STD in gimp-ufraw's makefile.

Thanks, I will try that, but first I am updating to get a clean state
after FORCE_CXX_STD has landed (not a complaint; I just don't want to be
in a partial state, and only debug in the new cleaner world).

> FORCE_CXX_STD should never be used in a bl3: in case dependent packages
> require a newer standard, require GNU extensions, etc etc.

I guess in theory whe might need a FORCE_AT_LEAST_CXX_STD which causes
max of what's specified to be effective, but that seems pretty
complicated.  The implicit point being that the number of packages
needing a foreign FORCE_CXX_STD should be pretty small, and overall the
combination of work and ick is better.

> USE_CXX_FEATURES won't particularly help you because your compiler
> is new enough already.

Yes, I pushed compiler to gcc10 and that didn't help.

I'll report again after another pass.