Re: Cleanup: Proposal to remove all references to python37

Jason Bacon <jtocino%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

> So should python37 be removed now, or should it have a longer grace period?

I see it as ripe for a removal proposal, sent to pkgsrc-users, following
the usual norm.  Things are more complicated with packages where we
routinely have multiple versions, because that situation is 90% a sign
that upstream is not as good at compat as at least I think they should
be.  But, pkgsrc has a pretty strong norm that for things we have many
versions of to cope with this kind uptream, we delete them when they
become EOL, unless there's a good reason.

What's a good reason is a judgement call but typically it is that it's
needed anyway for something significant.  We have python2.7 and qt4
still, because they are so foundational that lots of things depend on
them.  I don't think there is any such argument about python3.7; we've
been removing each 3.x as it becomes EOL for a long time.