Re: default C versions

On 7/3/23 11:57, Edgar Fuß wrote:
My "solution" when I started using pkgsrc on CentOS 6 years ago was to
use the base compiler only to build a pkgsrc GCC and its dependencies,
and use the pkgsrc GCC for all other packages.
The problem with this approach is that your ever growing list of GCC's
dependencies gets built with the base compiler, so you may run into
problems with other packages using them.

Are you referring to possible ABI compatibility between the base compiler and chosen GCC? If so, I would agree that this is a possibility, but I've never run into it in 10+ years of using this approach on RHEL derivatives, with their very old core GCC.

Most of the deps aren't even libraries. The thing I fear more is one of them simply not building with a very old GCC, but RHEL versions go out of style fast enough that this hasn't become an issue. By the time the compiler is that old, everyone has moved on to a newer RHEL version.