Re: rapidfuzz failing 9.0 i386 2023Q2

> Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 08:05:03 -0400
> From: Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>
>
> And I can't say that declining to build avx2 is a bug, since pkgsrc
> targets eiher i486 or i586.
>
> I'll send you the full log, and happy to send it to anybody else.
>
> But, I am thinking that we should just drop i386 from the avx2
> conditional for PLIST.  I think it's only there because when fixing this
> for "not x86" there was an assumption these files were generated on
> "x86", rather than "architectures for which avx2 is guaranteed, meaning
> x86_64".
>
> So I'll try that and commit/pullup if it works.

As far as I'm aware, AVX2 instructions should be available from 32-bit
mode.  This kind of thing should generally be selected at run-time,
not at compile-time, and certainly shouldn't depend on exactly which
x86 CPU is in the machine building the package.

Now, if there's hand-written amd64 assembly that uses 64-bit general
instructions as well as AVX2 instructions, yes, that won't work when
MACHINE_ARCH is i386 -- but a priori, i386 does not imply no-AVX2.