Re: Defaulting USE_PKG_ADMIN_DIGEST to yes

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> See pkgdb/*/+BUILD_VERSION, the data is recorded to identify the state
> of the pkgsrc tree at the time of the build. So far we used to record
> the RCS ID, e.g. the last committed state. This fails for local
> modifications of course and for any system that doesn't update the file
> content on checkout or commit. With the USE_PKG_ADMIN_DIGEST flag set,
> we record a hash of the files instead. This is good enough (and actually
> better) for purposes like pbulk, but makes it a bit more annoying to
> figure out what state the tree was in.

I see: so this is not specifically about pbulk but that is the main use
case now.

> I've been doing bulk builds with it for a while, the only possible down
> side is that it requires a newer pkg_install.

You didn't say "we have to bump the min pkg_install", so do you mean
that the min enforced by pkgsrc already copes, or that the default
change will also change that?  (Again not objecting; I just want the
full change on the table.)