Re: Disable pkg_install output during upgrade

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%mnx.io@localhost> writes:

> * On 2023-05-09 at 11:55 BST, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>
>>Am Tue, May 09, 2023 at 10:09:08AM +0100 schrieb Jonathan Perkin:
>>> Our upgrade process is effectively pkg_delete && pkg_add, and this means
>>> that any package that is either upgraded or refreshed will print both
>>> install and deinstall script messages, as well as output MESSAGE files, on
>>> every update.
>>
>>For pkg_add -u, we can actually be smarter and provide
>>old and new version to the +INSTALL/+DEINSTALL script, so that it can
>>itself decide to skip messages. I'm actually against just silencing the
>>output as we should be able to detect when new config files appear and
>>notify users, just to name one example.
>
> Yeh that's a good idea, I'll look into that approach at some point.

A longer term issue probably, but I think the entire concept of output
intended for humans during package installation no longer makes sense,
given the prevalance of automated package tools.  I think we should
instead be moving to a way to ask about a package.  Plus, I think we
should expect users to read upstream documentation to configure, and not
reinvent that in pkgsrc.

As for no-longer-needed config files, perhaps instead there should be a
pkg_admin or some such to list config files that were installed by
pkgsrc and are no longer claimed by an installed package.   Cleaning up
and de-installing are not necessarily linked in time.