Re: libstdc++ dependency mis-detection in gcc packages?

> To first order, if you are going to mix binary packages with source,
> then only approach that is expected to work is to use the same tag on
> your checkout that was used for the binaries.

I don't think that anything I discovered about the gcc10 or gcc12
binary packages from the 2022Q4 build depends on the version skew
between my installed package and my checked-out pkgsrc.

The core of the issue is that if you on 9.3 try to install the
gcc10 or gcc12 binary package using "pkgin", you will get a
*misleading warning* that libstdc++.so.7 isn't available on your
running system, while, as it turns out, that is not an actual
prerequisite for using the package.

> As for symlink choice in pkgin URLs, I won't challenge your comment
> about speed, but that's just a default for people who are not making
> their own choices.  If you personally think the 2023Q1 build has reached
> the point where you want to use it, just change the
> pkgin/repositories.conf URL.

My question basically stands.  Do we have any tools, possibly
configurable with a set of conditions which might help us by
nuding us that it's perhaps appropriate to think of switching the
link?  If "no", perhaps we should?

Regards,

- Håvard