Re: locale confusion in package builds

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 01:20:36AM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> On that general topic, I wonder if we shouldn't set
>>
>> LC_ALL=	en_US.UTF-8
>>
>> by default in pkgsrc instead.
>
> That would make sorting rules no longer predictable across systems.
> C.UTF-8 would be nice, but not all systems support that either. For some
> singular broken applications, that feels wrong...

Having slept on it, my reaction is that a program whose build system
produces different results depending on locale is broken.   So I think
forcing to C is still the right thing.

For elixir, if it needs UTF-8, the (upstream) build should just set it.
What we are doing is remediating that, and it was done wrong it seem,
and there are multiple bugs in elixir which make debugging more
confusing.