Re: Samba4: enable acl option by default where supported

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 03:06:17PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:
>
> > Anyone see a reason not to commit the patch below?
> > It enables the samba4 "acl" option on operating systems where it is supported.
>
> Not an objection and speaking as just a pkgsrc developer, I wonder if
> you know what the acl option does, and what happens if it is turned on
> and one runs samba on a FS without acls.  However, it seems like that
> must be ok, because that list of systems has non-acl filesystems.
>
> Have you or someone built it this way and used it?   I no longer have to
> deal with CIFS, so I haven't...

I have build and used it that way, but right now it seems like the option
is a no-op and the configure magic always happens, independed of the pkgsrc
option. I don't understand the build system and its configure magic.

E.g. the bin/smbcacls program is unconditional in PLIST, and probably the
option can just be removed - which makes total sense to me ;-)

Martin