Re: net/samba4 issues

On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 12:58:54 +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> I tried building net/samba4 on netbsd-current and it failed with a PLIST
> error: additional krb5.so file (not libkrb5.so).
>
> I don't need ADS in that setup right now so I adjusted options: added acl,
> removed ads.
>
> But again the pkg fails to build in a way I don't understand: [...]

It's a mess -- basically any non-default combination of samba4 build
options has issues, which makes the options largely pointless.

I have a set of PRINT_PLIST_AWK lines that helps with supporting the
'lesser' options, but the major ones like ads are too pervasive to be
caught by regexps. A while back, I cobbled together a script that
builds samba with (n-1) options rotating, and generates the resulting
PLISTs, to be consolidated - that is how expensive this gets. And it
doesn't look like any of the package updaters did the work.

What is the way forward? Just accepting that Samba is a behemoth, and
build it with all lights on?

On a related note, current 'default options' samba4 builds on FreeBSD,
but does not work for me.

Cheerio,
Hauke

--