Re: Skip building the test programs in parallel/threadingbuildingblocks

> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 07:05:04 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Charlotte Koch <charlotte%netbsd.org@localhost>
>
> So, I think we can speed up the build significantly in the typical use
> case by building the test programs iff we want to run the tests in the
> first place. What do we think of my diff (attached) ?

How much time is saved?  What is the fraction of the build time?

With the patch, how would pkgsrc know whether the user is about to do
`bmake test' manually, while not setting PKGSRC_RUN_TEST?  I do this
regularly while developing packages.

(Personally I tend to think that tests should not only be built by
default but also installed by default -- maybe as separate packages --
so you can run self-tests on the target machine before running it on
the same machine, not just during development or builds on the build
machine.  This is also necessary for cross-compiled tests to be
useful.  But it depends more heavily on upstream support, of course.)