Re: Skip building the test programs in parallel/threadingbuildingblocks

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 07:05:04AM +0000, Charlotte Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The CMake in parallel/threadingbuildingblocks says to build the test
> programs by default. But PKGSRC_RUN_TEST is NOT enabled by default. The end
> result is: in the default configuration, we're building dozens of
> executables which aren't even installed.
>
> So, I think we can speed up the build significantly in the typical use
> case by building the test programs iff we want to run the tests in the
> first place. What do we think of my diff (attached) ?
>
> I wonder if there are other, similar opportunities to take advantage of
> situations like this when PKGSRC_RUN_TEST is disabled. Maybe we could
> even automate it somewhat.
>
> Charlotte

Hiya charlotte,

I agree that PKGSRC_RUN_TEST is likely to be an extremely uncommon
configuration! Lots of stuff breaks with it.

However, for me at least, as a package maintainer, the most common
way I run tests is 'make test' after updating a package or making
some changes, to check there are no regressions. This works even
if PKGSRC_RUN_TEST is no.

So I'm not sure making test builds depend on PKGSRC_RUN_TEST is a
good idea. We could have a discussion about making it depend
on PKG_DEVELOPER instead, which I think would be more reasonable.
But there's also people who think PKG_DEVELOPER=yes should be
the default - bulk builds usually run with it to catch problems,
for example.