Re: categories of science: math biology geography … and?

Jason Bacon <jtocino%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

> Math is the best category we have for scipy, but I think science would
> be a better fit, since it's not 100% math and all the math in it is
> scientific in nature, not, e.g. theoretical math, business math, math
> education, ...  This would help unclutter the math category, which is
> huge in part because it's sometimes used as a catch-all.

I don't see it that way but that's ok anyway, and it's moot until we
arrive at moving being reasonable.

math only has 493.  That's really not that many.  Current bogus stats,
just ls|wc -l, wrongfully counting CVS directory and Makefile:

           archivers     156
               audio     530
          benchmarks      57
             biology      75
           bootstrap      26
                 cad      77
                chat     156
               comms      95
          converters     160
               cross      83
           databases     524
               devel    3329
           distfiles    4917
                 doc      40
             editors     197
           emulators     418
         filesystems      50
             finance     120
               fonts     892
               games     482
           geography     112
            graphics     851
                 ham      58
         inputmethod     169
              joyent     268
                lang     337
            licenses     245
                mail     410
                math     493
               mbone      14
           meta-pkgs     103
                misc     403
                  mk     104
          multimedia     222
                 net    1042
                news      29
            packages      43
            parallel      32
            pkgtools      79
               print    1774
             regress      25
            security     654
              shells      47
            sysutils     919
           templates       8
            textproc    1392
                time     269
                 wip    6120
                  wm     117
                 www    1093
                 x11     711

> No, I'm not suggesting moving everything from biology.  I'm just saying
> that a few packages in that category might be better classified under
> science or chemistry.

ok

> I'm not a proponent of creating a lot of specific scientific categories.
>  There are too many disciplines and subdisciplines and most would have
> very few packages.  Maybe chemistry and physics could be justified,
> since there is a lot of software for these fields and a more general
> science category has the potential to become very large.  FreeBSD has
> astro, which I think could be rolled into physics if such a category
> existed.
>
> Counts for FreeBSD ports in science-related categories:
>
> astro        136
> biology      227
> cad          142
> math        1140
> science      426
> Total       2071

So that seems good enough to convince me that science is reasonable.

I observe that nobody has spoken out against it.

<pmc>I don't think we have any real rules about new categories, other
than discuss first, and I think that's happened.</>