Re: egg.mk and do-*

On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 12:58:02PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> [...]
>
> Starting out with the assumption that egg.mk use is proper, the root
> cause here is that egg.mk is doing two things, and it seems best to
> cleanly separate them somehow, rather than opting out of duplicates
> individually.
>
> The first question is if egg.mk as it stands always intends to build as
> well as define whatever is needed for an egg presence.  The second issue
> is that egg.mk appears to deal with one egg, and some packages have
> more.
>
> Reading egg.mk, it strikes me that the proposed approach is to disable
> everything in egg.mk except extension.mk.
>
> So I think the right thing is just to use extension.mk instead.  That is
> reverting 1.9 of Makefile, and that commit does not have an
> explanation of why it is correct.  I assert that it is not correct
> because of:
>   - adding wrong build machinery (not used, and conflicting with the
>     package's build system)
>   - ending up with an EGG_NAME of xen-4.15.2, which is wrong, and
>     results in EGG_NAME not ending up in PLIST and thus not useful
>
> I've appended the python PLIST entries.  It's clear that there are two
> eggs: pygrub-0.6 and xen-3.0.
>
> So I say back out 1.9 and then things are ok.  wiz and oskar copied to
> explain if I'm confused.

Makefile is not the only thing to back out; PLIST needs to be backed out too:

-${PYSITELIB}/pygrub-0.6-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info
-${PYSITELIB}/xen-3.0-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info
+${PYSITELIB}/pygrub-0.6-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info/PKG-INFO
+${PYSITELIB}/pygrub-0.6-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info/SOURCES.txt
+${PYSITELIB}/pygrub-0.6-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
+${PYSITELIB}/pygrub-0.6-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info/top_level.txt
+${PYSITELIB}/xen-3.0-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info/PKG-INFO
+${PYSITELIB}/xen-3.0-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info/SOURCES.txt
+${PYSITELIB}/xen-3.0-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
+${PYSITELIB}/xen-3.0-py${PYVERSSUFFIX}.egg-info/top_level.txt

Now I've no idea what the difference bwteen extention.mk and egg.mk
is and why egg.mk would be better (will extention.mk be deprecated at
some point ?). If going back to extention.mk is not considered a step
backward, then it's probably the way to go.