Re: infrastructure change needed for python modules

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> The latest setuptools release points to an article which explains that
> setup.py should not be used any longer, and what the replacements are:
>
> https://blog.ganssle.io/articles/2021/10/setup-py-deprecated.html
>
> I've noticed for some time that `setup.py test` were already broken
> quite often, but it seems to me that 'setup.py build' and 'setup.py
> install' should not be used any longer either. (They still work and
> will probably keep working for some possibly quite long time.)
>
> However, we do use setup.py for basically all python modules (see
> lang/python/extension.mk, which is included by both distutils.mk and
> egg.mk).

Do you mean "this should be fixed in the future, before it causes
trouble", or "the recent update of setuptools broke half the python
modules"?

> Can someone who's interested in Python and pkgsrc please convert
> pkgsrc to current Python best practices?

Yes, please, modulo timing, perhaps just after the branch, perhaps soon,
depending on if things are not or are broken now.